Being Joyful as I daily seek to journey with joy carried by LOVE. A blog about myself and my family. The name of my blog is a combination of my middle name and a nickname my Oma gave me years ago.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Should we give goats or chickens?

This year as like every year is a very stressful time for me. Instead of being able to focus on Christmas and on Christ's birth, it becomes weeks of getting Christmas cards out (which I do love to do to keep connected with people), planning with whom and where we are spending Christmas & New Year, practicing for the Christmas program (which we all do enjoy a lot), how much time my husband needs to take off, how much travelling will we need to do (what will the weather be like) and the packing & unpacking. THEN there are the presents. I have to think about what to get for each of my boys, make wish lists for relatives to pick from, purchase gifts for my boys and others and on top of that since 3 of my boys birthdays fall not too long after Christmas then I need to think of gifts for them and for others to purchase all over again and most of the time they are my boys "wants" and not "needs" or I have to make up "wants". I am out of breath even before it's half way through December and not even yet close to the 25th. I was thinking of these GIFTS for my boys and for relatives for this year and hopefully every year. Christmas is about Christ and His gift of His son and not about getting things or what to get from others . The boys can receive a few gifts on their birthdays as we celebrate & thank God for the gift of them & their lives and our love for them. Hopefully our family can focus more this year on Christ and not on what presents we get and more on what we give and that Christmas will no longer be about stuff and our 'want' lists but about Christ and His gift and how we can share that love with others. We still haven't made up our minds but we are thinking about it over the next few days...Maybe goats, chickens...Hmm...

3 comments:

  1. My boys once, bought a cow through World Vision for Africa... they sold all summer used books that were donated to them by friends and neighbours... it was great!!.. I vote for goats!... wish you a relaxed and stressed free next month asa you get ready for Chrismas..
    Love you, Norma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think we might go with goats! It would be such a special thing to do for another family! Our children are so blessed and don't need more things! I think that it's neat that your boys used their own earned money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We told out kids that this year, they would get a ski helmet for Christmas and we would take them skiing...I agree that there are so many WANTS and then you end up with so much. They love the idea, as this is the first time they will ski. We really need some good family time too, with Verne working so much. Good idea with the goat or chickens! Perhaps another year for us.

    ReplyDelete