Being Joyful as I daily seek to journey with joy carried by LOVE. A blog about myself and my family. The name of my blog is a combination of my middle name and a nickname my Oma gave me years ago.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Promoting reading or stressing out a tired mom?

Today I decided to take my 4 boys to the local library. My second oldest needed his 5 year old vaccination (our doctor retired in the spring :-( , but we can still get immunization) and just around the corner is the library. After getting a few extra groceries & going for the shot we decided to head to the library. I hadn't been in at least 6 months. Back last fall I pay the $50 non-resident fee to use the Ottawa library since with homeschooling I have access to a huge city library as opposed to our very small local one (and we'd read a lot of the children's books). Anyhow, in the pouring rain we made our way there through the reconstruction and detours (I didn't know they were doing that since I'm not often in that part of town). We made it inside and picked out a bunch of books & some movies (that are $1 each to rent for a week) (not too many books since we actually already have over 50 from Ottawa and another 8-10 from the Homeschoolers library, yes I can't mix them up)a and after taking 3 boys to the bathroom twice (with my 2 year old insisting on his own stall and stating that he can do it standing "all by himself & needs privacy" so closes the door and would prefer it locked (I said no)) are really ready to check out the books and leave. It turns out our cards have expired and we'd need to get new ones. So I just get one done to speed things up. We were very ready to leave since the librarians kept asking the boys to "be quiet" etc...Not easy for children to whisper. THEN, the librarian says to me : " If you stay an extra half hour and sit and read to your children you can borrow the movies for free but if you don't it will cost you $6 for the movies. I looked at her having never heard this before and not really sure what she is talking about. Once she'd "kind of" explained it to me, I explained to her that with 4 children it was much nicer to just head home and read on the couch. I also explained that we had already been at the library for 45min and that my oldest had sat and read the whole time so did that count for free movie? She said that no the deal was that we had to read together for 30min to get our movies for free. Then she noticed how many movies we had and said that we could only take out 3 since that was the maximum amount of movies you could get for free for 30 minutes of reading. I said it was a silly idea whoever thought of that one. I said to her I'd much rather just go home, read to my children there (couch or library floor ?? Hmm...), take the movies & pay the $6. She said that most people had chosen to get the free movies and stay and read for a while. I asked her who had come up with such an idea since someone with a family will take out more than 3 movies (didn't have the energy to ask the boys to pick which ones they didn't really want to take out) and since I'd already been at the library for 45 minutes, I had no intention to stay an extra 30 minutes with my children who were ready to leave and anyway I'd picked too many movies so I'll just pay the $6. She gave me this stern "you're crazy" look, checked out my books, etc and then as I left proceeded to tell the lady next in line what she thought of me. Guess they are trying to get people to read more at the library, etc.. Anyway I left a bit worked up as I was just too tired to bother with the whole thing and just wanted to check out my books, get my movies and get my children home to watch a movie and relax together. After all, we'd just spent 3 hours in the morning working, reading and learning together and just needed a break. So needless to say, next time I'll be just driving to Ottawa (Carlingwood) where they have a nice children's section and the librarians are kind, friendly and don't make "strange offers " to tired moms and then say that it doesn't work with their "policy", etc...

2 comments:

  1. That is a funny idea!, never heard that before!!.. I laughed!.Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you laughed! I was not a happy Mama and had to call my husband to "vent" or get some support that I wasn't crazy just tired!

    ReplyDelete