Being Joyful as I daily seek to journey with joy carried by LOVE. A blog about myself and my family. The name of my blog is a combination of my middle name and a nickname my Oma gave me years ago.
Thursday, October 28, 2010
The story of a pair of boots
So when I was about 10 years old we lived in a town that got lots of snow and was very cold in the winter. My sister and I had to walk to our bus stop down the street and then wait for our school bus to come. Our winters got very cold. My parents thought that the most loving thing they could do was to buy is both a pair of very warm winter boots. The boots in question weren't cheap and would keep our toes very happy. My sister and I were so upset when we saw the boots they were buying and didn't want to wear those boots since we thought they looked like boys boots. Even at school our friends would make comments about them. I was actually glad when they got too small but I think that took 2 winters for that to happen since of course they didn't wear out first. I did not appreciate at the time the reason and love behind those boots. The memory came to me as I was shopping for a pair of warm winter boots to keep my toes happy this year. I couldn 't believe it...my "childhood" boots were sold even today and it said "Women's boots". What?, Really? I am still not very fond of the colour and style but I did have a pair of dark blue Sorel boots that looked like men's boots for the last 13 years. They have finally given up and aren't warm or waterproof anymore...but I am looking at Sorels again and I don't really care if they look like men's boots...in Gatineau-Ottawa...we dress to stay warm. Fashion is good but it doesn't come first (okay I do consider it). Thank you to my parents for keeping my childhood toes warm so that today I can do the same...but I get to pick the boots. I will need them since I live in a town where we get a lot of snow and my toes need to be happy. :-) THE boots
They sure look warm!
ReplyDelete