Being Joyful as I daily seek to journey with joy carried by LOVE. A blog about myself and my family. The name of my blog is a combination of my middle name and a nickname my Oma gave me years ago.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

What are you reading?

I am curious to see what others are reading...What are others picking up and reading? What has been your favourite book & why? How has it touched your life and what was it that really touched you or made you want to recommend it? Okay so I'm not hugely into fiction but I love fiction that has a true purpose & point. I used to read Francine Rivers or Janette Oke and other Christian fiction authors but that was when I had few responsibilities & lots of time as a teenager. My all-time favourite book is The City of Joy by Dominique Lapierre. It talks about India and what life was like for the untouchables and also about leper camps. It was a true eye opener for me since I really didn't know that much about them. I knew about India but had never read about its poorest part and especially written by someone who worked and lived there but was not Indian. My second favourites (tied) are actually fictional novels: Les Misérables (unabridged), The Count of Monte Cristo and Notre-Dame de Paris. They are very well-written and have so much depth on the human condition and are truly timeless. I sometimes miss my university Literature courses ! So what are you reading & why? I'm curious.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading my sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. She is not a Christian author but I like her because she tells great stories well and she keeps it clean. I really enjoyed the book but I am not sure I really agreed with the premise. I am going to write about it in my blog when I get around to it: ) It really made me think! It is about parents who have a daughter diagnosed with leukemia and they genetically "make" another daughter so she can donate her cord blood to save the first. The author does a really good job of making you see how the whole family is affected by a sick child as well.
    One of my all time favourites is The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers, they made it into a movie a few years ago but I wouldn't recommend the movie to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Last Sin Eater was pretty good but it did leave me with this cold chill down my back and I felt kind of sad...I haven't read any of her books in years. Makes me feel old. :-)

    ReplyDelete