Being Joyful as I daily seek to journey with joy carried by LOVE. A blog about myself and my family. The name of my blog is a combination of my middle name and a nickname my Oma gave me years ago.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

True thankfulness


How to teach our children to be thankful? Raising our boys in a world where so many go with very little and are thankful for clean water and many have so much that they can afford and think they have the right to have likes and dislikes. My husband and I have made sure that our boys always finish their food and if not then that's all they're having for the meal because of how blessed we are and how they should always be thankful for everything, even if they don't care for the taste or the texture of something they've been given.

Today I made them some organic popcorn (no butter, so maybe boring) and instead of eating it all they played with it and scattered it on our back deck. While I was busy putting their youngest brother to bed for a nap, they decided to pour juice all over their hair pretending they had hair gel and spiking their hair. They had juice all in their hair, clothes and some on the floor. There was now laundry to do, wasted juice gone, hair to wash and a floor to clean!
They were told once everything including their hair was cleaned that until dinner if they were hungry or thirsty that they could have some water. After 30 minutes, they've decided that they are now famished! http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/famished Not thankful or remorseful, but starving after less than an hour and their stomachs were full. I think they're actually bored and are looking for something to do...
May our children never truly be famished and may they always be thankful for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment